Tuesday, March 30, 2010

WU vs. UC Round 1

As I'm nearing the end of the first term of my semester abroad, I've been finding myself comparing the University of Canterbury to Willamette. While I knew that I was going to a school that was much larger than Willamette, I don't think I was prepared for the lecture style classes. For a majority of my classes, I just sit in class while the lecturer talks at me. It's a style I am definitely not used to. I also constantly feel like I'm not really learning more than what is on the surface. I find myself missing the discussion based classes that WU offers and the interaction between Professors and students. While writing my first paper here at UC, I had such a difficult time starting because the paper topics seemed too simply. While the papers required me to do outside research, it really only required me to get a basic understanding of my topic. I'm writing about moko, Maori tattoo, and I found numerous subjects that would have been very interesting to write about, but my paper was to be focused on the overall structure and history. I think the one thing that I truly miss from WU is the controversy! I miss the truth!
I think I'd definitely have to say that Round 1 goes to WU.

No comments:

Post a Comment